The 2014 Mayo GAA Convention was held on Sunday 7th December in the Park Hotel, Kiltimagh.
The 2014 Mayo GAA Convention got underway at 12 noon on Sunday last the 7th December 2014 in the Park Hotel in Kiltimagh. Here’s a quick summary of the day’s proceedings.
The following officers were elected as follows:
- Jim Fleming has re-elected as Mayo GAA President for 2014.
- Mike Connolly has been elected as the new Mayo GAA chairman.
- Seamus Tuohy has been elected as the new Mayo GAA vice-chairman.
- JP Lambe has been re-elected as the Mayo GAA treasurer.
- Ger McHugh has been elected as assistant treasurer. (According to Mayo GAA, an “issue arose” as PJ Monaghan “has not accepted the nomination for the Assistant Treasurer position and was not present at the convention”).
- Aiden McLoughlin has been re-elected unopposed as the Mayo GAA PRO.
- Sean MacEil has been elected as the Mayo GAA delegate to Central Council.
- Paddy McNicholas and Gerry Burke have been elected as Connacht Council Delegates.
32 motions in total were put forward to convention by the various clubs in Mayo. Just two of the motions deal with intercounty issues.
34. That all All-Ireland Semi-Finals be played in Croke Park, without exception (Ballintubber).
35. That the All-Ireland Senior football and hurling championship semi-finals and semi-final replays all be played in Croke Park and this is bearing in mind that the American football is scheduled to return to Croke Parke again in August 2016. (Castlebar Mitchels) (Kiltimagh).
2014 Mayo GAA Accounts Summary
|Source of Income||2014||2013|
|Fund Raising Activities||€846,244||€827,834|
|Teams Admin expenses||€887,751||€906,789|
|Grants & subscriptions||€6,500||€0|
|Coaching & games development||€337,956||€277,498|
|Surplus for year||€ 79,042||€69,155|
Among other areas of interest at the Convention were the comments of incoming Chair Mike Connolly, who in his address suggested that there was a need for the Board to conduct its business in a more professional manner, admitting that in the past some communications have been ‘poor’. While acknowledging Mayo clubs as the best in the country, and the county’s supporters as “the best in the world”, he said he was disappointed at comments aimed towards the connection between his candicacy and his brother’s role as joint Mayo Senior Football manager. “All I can say to those people is they don’t know me and they don’t know my family”, he said. “The green and red of Mayo is in our veins. It’s that simple.”
According to the print edition of today’s Western People, there was much mirth when Jim Fleming pulled his own raffle ticket in the house draw to win dinner for two. “I’m just showing ye how it’s done”, he quipped through his blushes. Ger McHugh, for his part, gave a somewhat understated account of new manager Noel Connelly’s progress within the past year. “We appointed Noel as Hollymount Carramore’s Under 8 manager last February”, he said. “He’s made a fair bit of progress since then.”
The full convention report and the Mayo GAA financial report for 2014 can be viewed or downloaded here: https://mayoclub51.com/members/downloads.
We at Club ’51 wish the new and the re-elected officers and all those who volunteer their time to further the cause of Mayo GAA all the very best for the 2015 season. Here’s to a new era, and we look forward to getting behind them and the Mayo teams in the new year in our renewed quest for All-Ireland glory. Maigh Eo Abú.
- Season Ticket Holders Entered Into Draw For 500 All Ireland Final Tickets - August 27, 2021
- 2018 Allianz Prediction Mini League - January 23, 2018
- Face The Ball Prediction League Update - August 29, 2017