We know the Mayo seniors will be fighting fit for the Connacht Final on July 19th, but what about you?
If you fancy stretching the legs, getting some fresh air and doing some hiking in one of Mayo’s most scenic areas, we have just the thing for you.
A group of Mayo people are planning a climb of Bengorm in the Nephin Beg range with an experienced local guide the day before this year’s Connacht Final. In what is now becoming a time-honoured tradition on mountains around the county (and beyond) before big games, they will plant a Mayo flag at the summit to support the ‘Drive for Five’.
That’s one hell of a flag … (Pic: @ChelsSince1970)
Oh, ye rascals … (Pic: MichaelMaye.com)
The climb is part of a plan to develop a new Mayo Walking Group, and over the coming months the new group will seek to attract people from all over Ireland to walk and climb in the beautiful surroundings of Mayo.
Anyone interested in joining the hike is welcome to turn up on the day.
Arrangements as follows:
- The group will meet in Kelly’s Kitchen in Newport at 11am on Saturday 18th July, leaving for Bengorm at approximately 11.20am. There will be short drive to the start point, but if you don’t have a car, there will be transport provided to and from Newport.
- There will be an experienced local guide present
- There is no need to register and anyone interested can just show up on the morning.
- There is no cost involved.
- Bring everything you would need – good boots, waterproofs, suncream, lunch, water etcc – for a long hike. There will be no walking equipment provided on the day.
Participants are advised that the hike is a four-hour round trip, and will be challenging, but if you are reasonably fit, you will be well able for it. If the weather isn’t great, there is a back-up walk arranged – called the Letterkeen loop, which is enjoyable in any kind of weather.
Hope to see a few of you there!
We welcome all feedback and participation, so if you have any ideas or suggestions and would like to contribute to the group, drop us a line - we’d love to hear from you. Follow us on Twitter.
Latest posts by Admins (see all)
- Galway v Mayo 2017 Connacht Championship Semi Final - June 4, 2017
- Route 51 Flag At Venice Beach Florida - May 22, 2017
- 2017 Connacht Championship Begins For Mayo - May 18, 2017