Connacht Final weekend is upon us, and the build-up has started in earnest, now that both teams have been named. Our fate is our hands now as we face into the not-unappealing challenge of making it a historic four-in-a-row in Connacht. The weekend anticipation is starting to build nicely at this point and no doubt the roads will be busy tonight with Mayo folks making the pilgrimage to the west – if you’re on the road or in the air, take it handy and be safe!
In the meantime, Club ’51 held their inaugural charity quiz last night, July 10th in Coady’s Bar, Castlebar. We had a fantastic turnout, and on behalf of the Club ’51 team, we want to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who came out and supported our two fantastic charities. We had a huge 16 tables, totaling 64 people, who took part on the night. We are delighted to announce that we raised a grand total of €1072.30, meaning that Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association and Raynaud’s & Scleroderma Ireland will both benefit to the tune of €537 each.
Congrats to our lovely winners, the No Namers, who won the battle for top spot and left with a voucher and an exclusive Club ’51 trophy each.
Irish people have consistently proven themselves to be incredibly generous when it comes to supporting good causes, and Mayo is certainly no exception – we couldn’t have made a success of the night without the support we received from local businesses and individuals (who in turn we’d urge you to support). In particular, we would like to acknowledge the following:
- Cafe Rua, Castlebar, for their lovely hamper (we’re still drooling)
- The McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris for donating dinner for two
- Helena Chocolates, Castlebar, for afternoon tea (comes highly recommended)
- Vaughan’s Shoes, Castlebar for their voucher
- Tesco, Castlebar for their generous array of prizes
- Rosewater, Castlebar for their candle
- Flag Man Ireland for his donation of four flags and numerous car flags!
- Just Baked, Castlebar for their voucher (you’re in for a treat).
- The Royal Theatre, Castlebar for the show tickets
- Coady’s Bar, for their crystal wine glasses, and indeed for hosting the quiz and looking after us so well on the night
- M & C Castlebar for the crystal whiskey tumblers
- Presents.ie, Swinford for their lovely candle-holder
- The McTigue family from Cross
- Robert Bashford, Bangor
- Anne Cleary, Lusk, Co. Dublin
- The Flynn family, Ardagh
Thanks also to John Gleeson, our esteemed quiz-master who did a superb job on the night and had everyone scratching their heads more than once. (Dingbats, anyone?!)
We also won tickets during the week to the Connacht Final on Sunday, which we offered as a raffle prize – these were very kindly donated back to us by the prizewinner, Declan O’Connor, for auction. The tickets went for a grand total of €80, bought by Joe Togher. (Incidentally, we’d also like to thank eircom GAA for throwing in an extra set of tickets for the Sligo game when they heard that the prize was going to charity. We even managed to give them away as a prize to a Sligo man!)
We’re hoping to bring the Club ’51 quiz night on the road over the coming months, so keep an eye out for us! In the meantime, thank you once again for your warm support and generosity and we hope you enjoyed the night as much as we did.
Now, to the important business of the weekend … bringing the JJ Nestor Cup home where it belongs for a fourth consecutive year. Don’t forget to bring your flags!
Maigh Eo Abú!
We welcome all feedback and participation, so if you have any ideas or suggestions and would like to contribute to the group, drop us a line - we’d love to hear from you. Follow us on Twitter.
Latest posts by Admins (see all)
- Face The Ball Prediction League Update - August 29, 2017
- Clare v Mayo Rd 3 Qualifier - July 6, 2017
- Galway v Mayo 2017 Connacht Championship Semi Final - June 4, 2017